When you have a baby or toddler, a diaper bag becomes a necessity. When you’re going out with your child, you will need to take all the essentials with you. Since there are various types of baby bags in the market, parents may find it difficult to choose one from the crowd. There are Totes, Messenger, and backpacks. You can carry those using the handle, sling over your shoulder, or wear them on your back. Each carry method have their own advantages and disadvantages.
If you can’t decide on which carry method you like best, a convertible diaper bag can save you a lot of hassle. In most cases, the term convertible means the bag can be carried in all three ways. One day you can carry it over your shoulder and the next day you can wear it like a backpack or grab it like a Tote. Some new parents made the mistake of buying a bag, using it for a couple of days, and then ditching it because they don’t like the carry option. If they just buy a convertible baby bag from the beginning, they won’t have to waste a lot of money figuring things out that way.
So, which convertible diaper bag should you get? To help you in finding the answer, we have compiled only the best-rated ones that’re available on the market today. Check out their reviews below.
Top Rated Convertible Diaper Bags
Ju-Ju-Be Legacy Collection B.F.F. Convertible Diaper Bag
This bag has enough room for whatever baby essentials you need to take when you’re out there with your kids. It’s a bag with unisex design, which means there are no frills or overly girly patterns printed on it. Dads appreciate that a lot because they can help moms lug this bag too.
Ju-Ju-Be makes it easy for you to organize. The mommy pocket is useful to keep cell phone, wallet, makeup, and everything a mom needs. You won’t need to mess around with all the baby stuff just to grab your ringing cell phone. A changing mat is already included. It’s padded with memory foam, and it’s super comfortable for your baby to lie on and get his diaper changed.
The straps that you need to convert it into a backpack can be detached and stored in the bag when you don’t need them. No risk of losing the straps when you need them. The straps are easy on your back and shoulders.
Yodo Convertible Baby Diaper Backpack Bag
This large diaper bag is an excellent companion for moms when taking their babies and toddlers outside. The main compartment is large, and you can pack plenty of clothes, diapers, snacks, milk bottles, lunchbox, and more. The zipper closure ensures those goods stay secure in the bag even when you accidentally topple the bag down.
Yodo cares about your children’s well-being. That is why this bag is made of BPA-free cotton. It’s not only safe, it’s also easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth. You can also wash it by hand using warm water plus soap.
As a convertible diaper bag, this bag is comfortable on your shoulders whether you’re using it as a backpack or shoulder bag. The wide handle is excellent for when you need to grab quickly and go. Since this is a unisex bag, everyone can carry it. That’s a huge plus for dads who want to be more involved but couldn’t bring themselves to take a girly bag with them.
Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack Convertible Diaper Bag
This gorgeous baby bag from Petunia Pickle is made of canvas. It features Chenille fabrication, giving the bag a unique look and feel. It’s also a durable and sturdy bag. Both the material and the hardware used are of excellent quality. This convertible nappy bag is made to last your children’s diaper years.
The bag has enough pockets for diapers, lotions, and bottles for you to easily organize every essential that you need to take. Even if you have to pack for two children, this bag still have the space for their gears.
To help with diaper changing on the go, a changing pad is included in the bag. It’s removable so you can throw it in the washer when it gets dirty. The bag itself is actually machine-washable. You don’t need to worry if you get milk or juice spill in the bag. Just remember to put your machine on delicate cycle and then air dry the bag.
Built The Station Convertible Diaper Bag
Although this bag is called a convertible diaper bag, it cannot convert to a backpack. The convertible name refers to its ability to be used as a diaper changing station by zipping down the front part. An integrated changing station with removable changing mat makes it easier for you to change dirty diapers when you are exploring the outdoors with your children.
The stain-resistant neoprene material makes this bag appropriate as a baby bag. Spills are unavoidable when dealing with children. Now you won’t have to wash this bag every other day just to keep it clean. This bag is also free from harmful chemicals. It’s free from vinyl, BPA, PVC, phthalates, and lead. It gives parents the peace of mind that whatever they put in the bag will be safe from those nasty chemicals.
This bag is available in several prints. You can go with the subtle black color or dot-patterned one with popping colors. Moms and dads can pick the one that suits their taste better.
PeelCo Le Petit 3 in 1 Diaper Bag
Need to carry a travel bed for your baby but it won’t fit in the bag? Don’t worry, with the PeelCo diaper bag you won’t have to carry any travel bed. This baby bag converts into a portable bassinet and diaper changing station at will. It’s convenient for you and your child. Whether you’re staying at a hotel or family’s place, when your baby is sleepy, you can transform the bag into a bassinet and let your baby sleep in a safe and comfortable space. It’s big and works well for babies under nine months old.
As a diaper changing station, this bag is also superb. With the exterior pockets for diapers and wipes, changing a diaper is less of a hassle. It’s easy to wipe clean too.
This bag is a medium-sized diaper bag. It can still bring plenty of your baby’s gears, though. It can be carried like a messenger or a purse. It’s lightweight and not bulky, so it’s comfortable to carry either way.
Columbia Canyon Heights Convertible Tote Diaper Bag
This simple-looking diaper bag from Columbia Canyon serves as a Backpack and Tote. It’s not overly large, so it’s only fit for short trips with your kids. It has organizational pockets inside and out. The two front pockets are insulated, and they’re perfect to keep milk bottle, snacks, lunch, or any kind of food and drink that should stay warm or cold.
The unisex design of this bag means it’s okay for dads to carry it too. They won’t need to compromise their manliness here. This bag easily converts from a Tote into a backpack. If you prefer to hang this on a stroller, you can use the stroller straps hidden inside the bag.
For your convenience, a padded changing mat and wet bag are already included. The small bag for the changing mat also has pockets for a diaper and wipes. Now you don’t need to carry the whole bag to the restroom just to change your baby’s diaper.
Storksak Poppy Convertible Back Tote Bag
This convertible is clearly made for moms. Its chic quilted design goes with whatever your choice of apparel, even the formal one. This Tote bag can be worn in four different ways. Take it by the handle, over your shoulder, across the body, and as a backpack. It’s nice to have so many various options from just one single bag. As if that’s not enough, Storsak also giving you stroller clips for hanging this bag on your baby stroller.
As a compact diaper bag, it doesn’t offer an extra roomy compartment. You still, however, able to fill it with the essentials. With two pockets on the outside and five more on the inside, you’ll be able to slip in your own personal items, and keep them easily accessible too. Just like any decent diaper bag, this one also comes with a changing mat with a matching style. Additionally, the insulated double bottle holder also features the same styling.
Your Guide To Buying a Convertible Diaper Bag
What People Are Saying
Based on all the consumers’ reviews, these are the top things they mentioned about their new stuff:
- Comfortable straps. Straps that are broad, generously padded, and don’t slip from your shoulders are perfect for any occasion. There’s no point for a diaper bag to convert into backpack or messenger if the straps don’t make the bag comfortable to carry.
- Changing station. Finding a restroom to change your baby’s diaper can be troublesome when you’re going out. Having a changing station integrated with the bag makes life a whole lot easier for both you and your baby. Just put the bag on a flat surface and you can start doing that dirty work.
- Moms and dads love stylish and trendy diaper bags. For a convertible diaper bag, great style is like the icing on the cake. Yes, practicality and functionality are both important factors. However, most parents enjoy lugging a stylish bag much more than lugging a dull-looking one.
- Backpack carry option. For parents who wear their baby, lugging a backpack means they can also carry their baby comfortably too. With a messenger bag, that’s still possible, but it’s a little bit inconvenient. A backpack also lets both of your arms and hands free. Let’s face it, when you have babies and toddlers, having both of your hands unrestrained is a real blessing.
Useful Tips For Shoppers:
- If you shop online, inspect the bag thoroughly right after you receive it. Check the seams, stitches, hardware, and basically everything about the bag. Should you find a defect, return the bag immediately. Be sure to describe why you decide to return the bag. Inspecting the bag early on will save you from needless hair-ripping in the future especially if you buy it for a gift.
- Think about how much space do you need. If you have two kids, you’re going to need a bigger bag. However, bigger usually means bulkier. It won’t be comfortable for you to carry it over your shoulder or across the body. In this case, maybe an ordinary diaper backpack will suit you better instead of a convertible one. There are, of course, some convertible diaper bags that aren’t bulky when stuffed with two kids’ worth of diapers and everything, such as the PeelCo Le Petit. You just need to look around.
- The light-colored bag gets dirty easier. Most of the times you’ll be better off with a dark-colored diaper bag because it’s more forgiving. Dirt and blotches are less visible on dark material. However, this does not apply to all. Many manufacturers treat their bag fabric with stain and water-resistant coating. That’s a great selling point for them. Ju-Ju-be, for example, uses Teflon fabric protector for the exterior fabric. Their bright-colored bags don’t stain easily this way. You should get one of those kinds of bags whenever possible. It really saves you a lot of trouble in the long run.
Okay, we have shown you a collection of best convertible diaper bags that you can choose. If you still find it hard to pick one just ask yourself about what is the most important factor the bag should have. Is it style, function, or comfort. It will help you prioritize the list of baby bags above. The ones on top of that list are the most promising candidate for your next diaper bag. Having said all that, it really boils down to your own personal preference. Pick one that you think will work best for you.